Friday, April 8, 2011

Experiencing Africa, May 2010

During student teaching in 4th grade, I read the book The White Giraffe by Lauren St. John aloud to my students.  The book is about an English girl who, under dire circumstances, moves to Africa and learns from her grandmother about a mysterious white giraffe. The story centers around discussions of apartheid, nature, and cultural diversity.

I planned a week's worth of activities as a culmination of reading The White Giraffe that allowed students to explore Africa in a creative, interactive manner. The mini-unit started with a whole-group lesson about apartheid and Nelson Mandela. I put together a presentation on the Promethean Board that included pictures, quotes, and the video I made after my trip to South Africa. I connected it to the students' lives by discussing the no-bullying policy at the school. Then, students rotated between seven distinct stations, recording all of their work in a South African Journal.

1. African Poems
Africa has a rich heritage and history of songs, rhymes, and poems.  Students were able to read poems at this state... and then write their own! They chose at least five words from a word box to compose a poem in the form of their choice. Students had been learning about different types of poetry and were able to apply their new knowledge.

2. Fantastic Flags
South Africa's flag is red, green, yellow, white, black and blue. These colors are also used throughout the country in clothing and decorations. Students colored blank maps and glued them to the cover of their South African Journals.

3. Mapping Africa
The continent of Africa is so diverse - there are deserts, lakes, rivers, mountains, and even rain forests! Students colored and labeled an African map before adding it to their journals.

4. Reading Corner
Books tell you so much about the world. I chose books especially for my students and I brought in a special surprise: the scrapbook I made after I visited South Africa in 2008!

5. Super Safari
Safaris are so much fun! You never know what kind of animals you'll find right around the corner. I hid ten animal cards around the classroom; each card had facts on the back. The students had to find the animals and record their facts in their books.

6. Spots on a Giraffe
Every giraffe has unique spots. Likewise, each student is unique and learns in their own ways. Students chose a spot off the giraffe I painted, added a fact about themselves, then replaced it on the giraffe. The giraffe became a representation of the uniqueness of our classroom!

7. Thatching Placemats
"Thatching" is weaving together grass or straw to make houses and roofs. Students had the opportunity to practice their own thatching. I braided the pieces of raffia that the students wove together. The students liked this station the most - so we took pictures to document the occasion!


Planning and supervising these interactive stations helped me see the importance of understanding the learning process students undertake. I believe in allowing students to explore and construct their own learning; there are some things only experience can teach. By setting up a structured environment, students are able to be successful and independent at the same time. As my students gave me feedback about the stations, I was able to adapt: I noticed where the students needed more instruction, where the directions were unclear, etc. This was a highlight of my teaching career so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment